Thursday 13 October 2011

Nürnberger Sausages with Red Cabbage and Mashed potato


I thought I would start with some of the easier dishes and what is German cooking without sausages or cabbage? I have to say it was very delicious, or sehr lecker!  The apple in with the cabbage just melts away leaving a complimenting sweetness.

It was very filling and there is absolutely tonnes left over which we'll have for lunch tomorrow, although I won't have sausages as there were not tonnes of them! The plate above was 13 points worth, for anyone who knows what that means.

I started by peeling and roughly chopping 3 Onions and finely slicing a whole red cabbage, after removing the stalk of course. I then fried the onion in 1 teaspoon of oil for about 3 minutes before adding the cabbage and stirring for a short time before adding 100 ml of Apple Juice, 500 ml of Vegetable stock, some salt, pepper and a clove then covering and simmering on a medium heat for about 40 minutes.  At this point I added 4 Apples which had been peeled cored and chopped, then covered and cooked for a further 20 minutes.

I peeled and halved 5 medium potatoes and boiled them for about 25 minutes before draining and mashing with 100 ml Semi Skimmed Milk. Finally the Sausages were fried in another teaspoon of oil.

Yummers! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment